The one thing that the enforced snow days gave all of us what time just to be , to sit with our kids , talk , cook , bake and make memories ! Baking seems to be the one activity that everyone in my family turned to over the last few days , it is an activity that for me is packed with memories , not just of my mam baking scones but also of my much beloved nana Bun , she was always baking Soda Bread , her kitchen filled with the aroma of baking bread and big chunks of it served to us hot dripping with melted butter . The very act of kneading the dough brought me back into her kitchen , warm from the range , sitting at the kitchen table watching her bake and listening to her chat ! More often than not my mam and aunt would also be there and the laughing we all did was immense ! These are the memories that make my heart sing and also make my heart ache , no where else would you find a room full of strong , witty and loving woman bonded not only by blood but also for our love of coffee and cake 😉
Watching my own kids touch the dough and play with the flour is a memory that will go with me forever and I really hope that when they have their own grown up lives that they will stop for a minute when they smell freshly baked bread and think of our time in the kitchen in the same way I think of my time in my nans kitchens .
So onto the Recipe for THE best Soda Bread ( Well my husband and kids think so anyway 😉 ! ) It is really very simple !
3 cups of plain flour
350ml of butter milk
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
- Sieve the flour into your bowl , add the baking soda and salt
- Make a well in the flour
- Gradually add in your milk , my nan always said to mix the flour in from the outside
- Add the rest of the milk until you have a soft dough
- Flour your baking tray , place your dough on the tray and cut a cross on the top ( to let the fairies out 😉 )
- I try and keep my bread round and about 2.5 cm high
- Bake at 250 for 15 minutes and 200 for the remaining 25-30
- Bread should be golden in colour and sound hollow when you tap the end
- Serve with real butter and a steaming bowl of home made soup ( or just tea ! )
I hope you enjoy this receipe it is really very simple ! I would love if you would tag me in pictures if you make this !!