When I look at my grocery bill every week I nearly always recoil in horror at the amount we spend and the amount we throw away . We are terrible at using leftovers , terrible at using every last bit of food we buy , so I have made a resolution to stop . I want to stop the waste and stop the big spending on food .
To spur me on and keep me on the straight and narrow I will be starting a new blog series on Frugal family friendly meals , I will break down the overall cost of the ingredients used per meal . I love to cook but I really find I overspend and have too much food waste , this is one of the biggest issues in alot of Irish households along with time poor parents who are just too tired after a long day or have no time with all the rushing around from Hurling to Music lessons .This is where meal planning , batch cooking and slow cookers can really help .Our slow cooker has been the best investment we have ever made and I really think every home should have one !
I was determined this week to use all the leftovers from our Sunday roast chicken , usually the leftover chicken is given to our very well fed cat but not this week ( Poor Kitty didn’t starve this week don’t worry ! ) I used the carcass to make homemade chicken stock , this was my first time doing this and I could not get over how easy this was to make ! I used the chicken and some of the stock in a chicken and chorizo paella which I knew the kids would love . The remaining stock has been put in the freezer to make soup with later in the week – That was three meals from one chicken all made very simply and not expensive ! Paella is super easy , cheap and everyone in our house loves it – If you have never made it then I would advise go for it – I have the recipe below 🙂
- Chicken ( you can use thighs , breast or leftovers ) Free as leftovers
- Rice ( Paella rice or basmati rice – brown takes longer to cook ) .23c
- Chorizo ( Thumb sized piece diced ) .40c
- 1 red pepper ( Diced) .43c
- 1 white onion ( Diced).16c
- Garden peas .14c
- Garlic .14c
- Cayenne Pepper .09c
- Paprika .09c
- Tomato Paste .08c
- Chicken stock ( I used my home made stock but you can use shop bought also ! ) Free as used from leftovers
- Oil ( I use Rapeseed Oil ) .13 c
- Heat oil in pan
- Add chopped onion and soften for 5 minutes
- Add Chorizo to pan and fry off for 3-4 minutes
- Add peppers and garlic fry off for another 1-2 minutes
- Add your chicken if it is not pre cooked – Ensure that is it cooked through
- Add spices and tomato paste
- Add your rice and stir through to ensure all spices and paste are fully mixed through
- Add your stock and peas
- Cook until all liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender
- If your chicken is pre cooked – I normally heat up in a separate pan and add to the Paella at the end of cooking
For a printable version of this recipe , please click on the picture 🙂
This entire meal worked out at €1.89 for 2 adults and 2 kids ( all food items bought in Aldi and worked out by how much is used in cooking ) – By using leftover chicken we drastically reduced the over all cost of this meal !!
Let me know if you try it !