One of my favourite meals to have ever is Chilli Con Carne , when we were kids all our friends were having bacon and cabbage and my mam was making us chilli , sweet and sour and the like – She was and is an adventurous cook ! I think that is where I get my love of experimenting in the kitchen from ! This is also why I am a strong believer in cooking with your kids and getting them used to different tastes , my two would eat just about anything for you and I hope I can say that about the next 2 ! This would be one of our go to meals as it is cheap to make and you have loads left over for the freezer as well , so it makes a great bulk cooking dish ! Chilli is also great to use the next day as you can make taco fries , a spicier version of cottage pie , in a burrito ….. Ideas are endless 🙂
Here is my tried and tested recipe !
- 600g of Minced Beef €3,49
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes .98c
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree .09c
- 1 teaspoon of medium chilli powder ( You can add a hotter version if needed ) .09c
- 1 teaspoon of cumin.09.
- 2 teaspoons of Paprika .18c
- 1 large white onion .19c
- Garlic ( about 3 cloves ) .09c
- 6 mushrooms ( You can add as many as you like ).19c
- 1 tin of kidney beans .49c
- Half a tin of sweetcorn .24c
- Rapeseed oil ( You can use olive oil or fry light ) .13c
- Fresh coriander .10c
- Fresh yoghurt ( Optional ) 0,09c
- Heat oil in pan and add onion and fry gently on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until translucent .
- Add mushrooms and garlic and gently fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add mince and spices and brown gently
4. Add Puree and mix together
5. Rinse and drain your Kidney Beans and add to the pan along with your sweetcorn and chopped tomatoes .
6. Simmer for 20- 30 minutes ( I like mine to be thick )
6. Add a handful of fresh coriander before serving
7. Add a dollop of natural Yoghurt to the top ( Optional )
*Click on picture if you would like to download a free printable copy if this recipe *
This entire meal cost €6.49 but we got 4 adult portions and 2 kids portions from this ( again all food from Aldi – not an ad ! ) You can add rice or baked potatoes on the side !
Let me know if you try out this recipe !