I think stew is the most comforting meal you can eat , I love nothing more than sitting down with a steaming bowl of stew on a cold , blustery day ! It is a quick , easy and cheap meal to prepare and best of all freezes very well , which we find handy for the days we have no time to cook or need to send a lunch with the kids ! I do this in the slow cooker as I love how tender the meat becomes .
- Stewing Beef – (From your butcher or supermarket- I use Tesco stewing beef very tender when cooked ) €3.79
- Potatoes .30c
- Onions .19c
- Carrotts .20c
- Garden Peas .20c
- Mushrooms .16c
- Gravy ( Stock Pot or home made stock ) .25c
- Garlic Salt .09c
Method : For Slow Cooker
- Place all ingredients into the slow cooker including gravy stockpot or stock – I never brown meat first but you can do that if you want , some people say it adds extra flavour , I have never noticed a difference with it .
- Season using salt and pepper
- Place on low for 8 hours or if you are going to be around you can place it on high for 3-4 hours
*click on the below picture for a free printable recipe *
As you can see I chop up the potatoes and add to the slow cooker , you can always cook these separate and do mash .
Bear in mind when I do the pricing I am using all special offer veg from either Aldi or Tesco and work out cost by amount used – This is great to prevent waste and getting more meals from your shopping ! This meal cost €4.98 for 3 adults and 4 small kids dinners .