It really is true that food can bring us comfort , joy and some beautifully remembered moments , like a snippet of happier times ! I most definitely see some dishes as just happy memories , I make them for my own children in the hopes , that they too , one day will have the happy memories that I do of steam filled kitchens , the smell of home made soda bread wafting through the air , the smell of a chicken roasting or the taste of a warming winter dessert on a cold day ! I have so many happy memories of my mams and my nans kitchen when I was growing up , their was nothing like running through the door on a cold , miserable day after school to be greeted by a kitchen full of lovely smells ( bar the one time there was half a pigs head in a pot … traumatised !! ) , the anticipation when you lifted the lid to see what they were cooking ! Some food is more nostalgic than others like bread and butter pudding or Creamed rice pudding , I had rice pudding for the first time in years at an event last week and it really struck a chord with me , I instantly though I need to make this for the kids they would love it ,and you know what ? They did love it , the look of pure happiness on their little faces when I dolloped a little jam on top like when I was a child was just magical , and right there I knew that they would take that memory with them forever ( A tad dramatic ?? ) Who knew that something so simple could stick with you forever ! I have been asked to share the recipe a few times so here you go ( It is my version of a Jamie Oliver recipe !)
- Pudding rice ( I used Shamrock brand )
- 800 ml Full Fat milk
- 2 tablespoons of honey.
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Jam / Compote / Toppings of Choice
- Put the rice, milk, 200ml of water, honey and cinnamon into a saucepan ,
- Give it a good stir, then place the pan on a very low heat. Cook gently for around 45 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring regularly.
- Loosen the rice pudding with an extra splash of milk before serving, if needed. Dollop some Jam / compote or any toppings you like
- So easy and so tasty !!!!
I hope you try this and that it brings back some happy memories for you !